When you created your LinkedIn profile, you added the information LinkedIn considers part of a complete profile.
LinkedIn also lets you add information about things like causes you support and volunteer activity as well. This information can help attract attention from other LinkedIn members looking for people with the attributes you add to your profile.
Add a section to your LinkedIn profile
Before you add information to your profile, you need to add sections that will tell other people what that information happens to be.
To add sections to your profile, follow these steps.
- In LinkedIn, go to the Profile menu and click Edit Profile.
To the right of your profile, a list of sections you haven’t yet added appears.
- To add one of these sections to your profile, click the plus sign to the right of the section label.
LinkedIn puts the section in your profile.
- Scroll to the newly added section and click the pencil icon.
You can now add information to that section.
While you’re adding sections to your profile, feel free to review existing sections. Remember, you can update your LinkedIn profile whenever you like.
Add media links to your profile
In 2012, LinkedIn:
- updated the look of member profiles
- offered the ability to add media links in the Summary, Education and Experience sections
- stopped supporting applications within LinkedIn
If you used applications to, for instance, show parts of your portfolio using the Portfolio Display application or share your business travel itinerary using My Travel by TripIt, you can still make these things part of your LinkedIn profile. Since methods for doing so vary by application, search for the LinkedIn help topic LinkedIn Applications: Location of 3rd Party Content: How can I access the content from my 3rd party LinkedIn Applications and display it on my profile?
To add media links to your profile, follow these steps:
- Update to the new LinkedIn profile.
- At the top of the LinkedIn screen, open the Profile menu and click Edit Profile.
Icons appear at the top right corner of each profile section, enabling you to edit sections.
- Find a section you want to add links to and click the Add Media sign.
The Add a link field appears.
- Enter the link in this field.
The field turns gray as it finds the information at that link, then shows your content once it’s found.
- Click Save.
You have just added media to your profile.